How to delete unnecessary and hidden WhatsApp media on your phone
WhatsApp is a convenient way to interact with friends and family, thanks to its built-in calling and texting features, as well as the ability to send voice messages, videos, and photos across devices. The app works on Best Android Devices And iPhones and they can be Installed on desktop or laptop. With added simplicity, it’s tempting to send and receive countless photos and videos, all of which take up space on your phone. While you can delete a media chat by conversation, this is not straightforward, as you need to follow every discussion on your phone.
Another way is to access the hidden media gallery and folders on your phone to get rid of unwanted media. And if you use WhatsApp on your computer, there is a way to clean the data it stores locally. Here’s how to clean it completely.
Unless you change your WhatsApp settings, the media you receive from other people is automatically saved to your phone gallery under the WhatsApp folder. Easy to access and clean.
- open your phone Gallery or photo app.
- Search for WhatsApp images And the WhatsApp video folders or albums. If you don’t see it, it’s probably hidden, and we show you how to access it at the bottom of this post.
- Select the photos you want to remove and delete them. Otherwise, go to the next section.
- You may want to delete a file WhatsApp Animated Gifs The folder, which contains files you might not want to keep, especially in your gallery.
- In most cases, you will have to empty the Trash to remove the media you deleted.
Depending on your WhatsApp settings, not all media you receive are saved to your phone gallery. This does not mean that your photos and videos are not saved on your phone. This means that it is hidden and not easily accessible. For example, WhatsApp does not make media from archived conversations visible in your device gallery but instead saves them in hidden folders.
Here’s how to access your WhatsApp media, including hidden photos and videos:
- open your phone File Browser.
- Go to your phone internal storage And access the folders below Android > com.whatsapp > The WhatsApp > The media.
- You will see the list of WhatsApp media you have sent and received, including audio, documents, stickers, voice notes, GIFs, videos, and photos.
- Under each folder, you will find the Private and Sent subfolders. The first subfolder stores media from archived conversations. The second subfolder aggregates what you have shared with others. These subfolders are hidden from your phone gallery, so you have to access them from your file browser.
- Select and delete the media and files you want to remove, then empty the Trash.
- If there is nothing you want to keep, delete the folders under Media or its subfolders. WhatsApp automatically creates them again when needed.
- For added convenience, mark the folders you want to clean more often to avoid searching for WhatsApp media folder when cleaning your phone of unwanted data.
Although clearing the WhatsApp cache will not remove the media, it helps the app to run smoothly and deletes temporary files from your phone memory.
- open your phone Settings.
- Faucet apps.
- Scroll down and tap The WhatsApp.
- Faucet storage.
- Faucet Clear cache in the lower right corner.
Free up space on your computer
Since WhatsApp can be installed on your computer, it saves files locally, which takes up space on your device. These files are not easily accessible on your Mac or PC and are automatically erased after a while unless you download them manually. However, when you need to free up space on your computer, deleting WhatsApp media may help.
The easiest way to remove these files is to log out of WhatsApp if you are using the desktop application. It only takes a few clicks:
- open the WhatsApp app on your computer.
- Click on Arrow pointing down To the right of your profile picture.
- click Log out.
This unlinks your computer from your WhatsApp account and removes the media stored on it. The next time you sign in, the app restores chats and doesn’t restore media that was cached before the operation.
Alternatively, you can uninstall the app if you don’t need it, which also removes data stored locally on your computer.
Free up a lot of storage space
The main reason to clean your WhatsApp media, especially from hidden folders since their content is not visible in your phone gallery, is the ability to get rid of useless files that take up space on your phone. Although WhatsApp compresses photos, the backups contain these photos and videos. Using Google Drive to sync your backups takes up space in the cloud for data you don’t need or want to keep. If you decide to switch, these useless files will be restored on a new device, which means they will take up space on your new phone.
It’s helpful to remove these files manually occasionally to free up space on your current device and make backups lighter and faster. A bonus for removing these files is to dig into old memories and put a smile on your face. If you don’t care much about it, you can delete folders from get-go without going through them one by one.
To get the most out of your WhatsApp experience, check out our website WhatsApp tips and tricks You are in complete control of what you do with the app.
#delete #unnecessary #hidden #WhatsApp #media #phone