iOS 16.1 is out on October 24, here’s what’s new
Apple announced new iPad hardware and software news today, but it also has some new information for iPhone users. Apple confirmed it 9to5Mac that it will release iOS 16.1 to the general public on October 24. iOS 16.1 includes a number of new features, including Live Activity, Clean Energy Charging, and more.
Here’s an in-depth look at some of the major changes in iOS 16.1:
- Live Activities: Live Activity helps you keep up with things happening in real time, right from your lock screen;
- Live Activity API: Follow the sports game in progress, monitor the progress of your ride or order with just a glance. Get a glimpse of live activity from your favorite third-party apps with the new developer API;
- The Apple Wallet app can be deleted: iOS 16.1 now allows users to delete the Wallet app for the first time. As you’d expect, deleting the Wallet app means you won’t be able to use a number of different features, including Apple Pay, Apple Cash, and Apple Card;
- Material support: Matter is the new standard for smart home connectivity that will allow compatible accessories to work together seamlessly, across platforms;
- iCloud Shared Photo Library: A new way for families to seamlessly share photos with a separate iCloud library where up to six users can collaborate, contribute and enjoy. Users can choose to share existing photos from their personal libraries or share based on start date or people in the photos;
- Charging with clean energy: Clean Energy Charging aims to reduce iPhone’s carbon footprint by optimizing charging times for when the grid uses cleaner energy sources.
- Battery percentage icon: iOS 16.1 enables battery percentage for iPhone XR, 11, 12 mini and 13 mini. Apple adjusted the battery indicator so that it now has a dynamic icon when the percentage is enabled.
iOS 16.1 will be available for every iPhone that can run iOS 16, which includes the iPhone 8 and later. The update will be available on October 24th. Once it’s released, you can install it directly from the Settings app on your iPhone.
What new feature in iOS 16.1 are you most excited to try? Let us know in the comments.
FTC: We use auto affiliate links to earn income. More.
#iOS #October #heres #whats