Aid package to Ukraine includes T-72B tanks > US Defense Department > Defense News
Today, the Defense Department announced approximately $400 million in additional security assistance for Ukraine under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative.
This USAI package includes:
- funding to renew HAWK air defense missiles for inclusion in a future presidential drawdown package;
- 45 refurbished T-72B tanks with improved optics, communications and armor package;
- 1,100 Phoenix Ghost Tactical Unmanned Aerial System;
- 40 armored river boats;
- Grants for the Refurbishment of 250 M-1117 Armored Defense Vehicles;
- tactical secure communication systems and surveillance systems; And
- Funding for training, maintenance and upkeep.
Unlike the Presidential Drawdown Authority, which the Department uses to deliver equipment to Ukraine from DoD stock, USAI is an authority under which the United States procures capacities directly from industry.
Pentagon Deputy Press Secretary Sabrina Singh, who held a press briefing today, said the T-72B tanks included in this USAI package are part of a tripartite, coordinated effort with the Netherlands and the Czech Republic.
This tripartite project is a direct result of cooperation created through six meetings of the Ukraine Defense Liaison Group, the August 11 Copenhagen Ukraine Donors Conference, and the September 28 National Ordnance Directors’ Meeting. DoD Press Release,
According to the press release, some tanks will be available for Ukraine before the end of December, with additional deliveries to be completed by next year.
“The United States is committed to supporting Ukraine’s near-term needs on the battlefield, and its long-term needs to deter and defend future Russian aggression,” Singh said.
#Aid #package #Ukraine #includes #T72B #tanks #Defense #Department #Defense #News